(For images of chancel Saxon windows please visit sub-page ” Saxon Features”)
CHANCEL EAST WALL WINDOW
This post-WW2 glass replaced the previous glass destroyed by a German bomb which exploded at the rear of the church in 1941. It is by Newcastle glass maker L.C.Evetts and the figures shown from left to right are :- St. Paul, the Ascending Christ and St. Bede.
JOHN PIPER WINDOW.
On the north wall of the chancel is the newest panel of stained glass in the church, which was inserted there in 1985. It is a modern art interpretation of the Jarrow Cross, and a gift to St.Paul’s on behalf of the JUNO TRUST. The panel was designed and produced by the artist, the late John Piper, and was unveiled in 1985 by H.R.H Diana, Princess of Wales, to commemorate the 1300th. anniversary of the dedication of St. Paul’s.
The blue represents the heavens, the red and yellow the Pentecostal Flame, while the green represents the earth. The Jarrow Cross is white through which the light of Christ always shines. The 2 B’s stand for Benedict Biscop, the founder of the twin monasteries of St. Paul’s and St. Peter’s. Biscop has become the patron saint of Sunderland since the town received its city status.
ST. CUTHBERT WINDOW.
ST. AIDAN WINDOW.
The two glass inserts of the Northern Saints, Cuthbert and Aidan are in the north aisle windows and are early Victorian glass.