BRIEF HISTORY OF ST.PAUL'S MONASTIC SITE.
St Paul's Church and Monastery was built on land given by King Ecgfrith of Northumbria in AD 681.
It was founded by Benedict Biscop, who, seven years previously had built the church and monastery of St Peter at Monkwearmouth.
A large Basilica was built on the site of the present nave and dedicated on 23rd April AD 685.
The monastery, to which the Venerable Bede came as a boy, thrived in the 7th and 8th centuries.
It was here that Bede lived, worked and worshipped.
His bones now lie in the Galilee Chapel of Durham Cathedral.
In AD 794 the Vikings sacked the church and monastery, but in AD 1074 the church was repaired and the Monastery re-founded by Aldwin, Prior of Winchcombe Abbey in Gloucestershire. The monastery then became a daughter house of the Benedictine Community of Durham.